Idaho library folk:
There is a vacancy in the Intellectual Freedom Committee. We put out a quarterly newsletter, invite interesting speakers to local libraries, and hold an awesome auction at the Annual Conference. Intellectual freedom is a significant issue for libraries. If you would like to serve on the committee, please shoot me an email at shaliniramachandran at boisestate dot edu. All levels of library workers or students may serve on the committee.
ILA Meeting Minutes
Call to Order: Amy called the meeting to order at 1:03 pm mountain/12:03pacific time. Present were Amy Vecchione, Board President; Kristi Haman, Past President; Erin Downey, Vice-President; Beverly Richmond, Secretary; Jessica, Ben Hunter, Molly Montgomery, Ann Joslin, Marina, Kiersten, and Becky Proctor.
Approval of meeting minutes: Approval of meeting minutes of March 7, 2017 (????) I am not sure that this was done because this meeting was called at the last minute.
Contacting your members of congress, membership and/or LibIdaho: There was discussion of the recent events that the President wants reduce the funding of Museum and Library Science Institutes. Ann stated that the LSTA funding for the 2017 fiscal year is approximately 73% of what it was in the past. Amy stated that Andy was willing to give the ILA board access and help on Cap Wiz. Jessica asked if there was an itemized list of the programs and services that could be affected by the potential budget cuts. Ann expressed the need for everyone to have a effective way to contact members of congress whether it was via postcard, email or even snail mail about the impact to libraries.
Amy discussed the draft letter that she had complied and some changes were made. It was discussed that the examples be able to tie directly to the funding and the impact that the loss of the funding could potentially have. Amy will draft a new version and send it out to the board.
Amy stressed that it was important to be aware of these ongoing issues with our advocacy platforms and the need to stay informed on all of the updates.
Amy stated that Engage is still not set up and running yet.
Ann is also working on a draft letter that can be sent to members of congress and the membership showing the impact of loss of funding and how it will affect many programs in Idaho.
Meeting was adjourned at 1:48 pm mountain time.
Next meeting: April 11,2017 @11:00 am mountain time.
Registration is open for SWILA, the Southwest Idaho Library Association regional conference!
Join us April 14th at New Ventures Lab in Meridian! Early bird pricing is available until March 15th.
The ILA Conference Committee is currently accepting proposals for pre-conferences and conference presentations for the 2017 annual conference that will take place October 4th-October 6th, 2017 at the Riverside Hotel in Boise, Idaho. In addition, the committee is seeking feedback on topics you would like to see represented. Please send suggestions to email@example.com The theme for the conference this year is Community Built Libraries and we are especially interested in proposals that focus on community engagement, partnerships, building projects, collective impact, volunteers, and services that target a community need.Read more
The Region IV annual conference is being held Friday, April 21, 2017 at the College of Southern Idaho.
Program ideas are now being accepted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Average program is approximately 45 minutes long, however back to back longer sessions have been done in the past. Deadline for submission is Friday, January 20, 2017.
Please consider presenting or hosting a program.
DID YOU HAVE A FAVORITE IDAHO BOOK IN 2016?
The Idaho Library Association Book Award Committee is seeking nominations for the Idaho Book Award.
To qualify for the award:
- The book must have been published in the 2016 calendar year
- The book must have an Idaho setting or significant Idaho content, or have been written by a resident of Idaho.
- Books may be in any category: fiction or non-fiction, prose or poetry, intended for children or adults.
- Nominations may be submitted by anyone, including publishers, booksellers, authors, librarians, scholars, and readers.
Nick Madsen says,
"Morgan Gariepy and I planned a road trip to the Boundary County Library in Bonners Ferry, Idaho at the beginning of January, and it was fantastic! First of all, Boundary County boasts the first Fab Lab in the state of Idaho. Their fabrication laboratory is a part of the FabFoundation network started by MIT. It boasts multiple 3D printers, vinyl cutters, milling machines, an engraver and cutter, and classes to empower community members to use the equipment themselves. The degree to which this rural library has been able to reach into their community, enrich the skill sets of their members, and participate in the Maker movement on a national scale was invigorating and inspiring.
"One example is the 3D printed Axolotl enclosure located at the library’s front desk. When members enter the building they are greeted by Ritalotl the Axolotl, an amphibian indigenous to Mexico. In addition to the library books and posters about the animal, members can also see the 3D printed habitat and enclosure pieces that were manufactured in the library’s Fab Lab."
Nick Madsen is a Youth Services Specialist at the Community Library Network.
Morgan Gariepy is the Teen Programming and Services Librarian at the East Bonner County Library.
February 6, 2017
Call to Order: Amy Vecchione called the meeting to order at 835 am. Those present were Amy Vecchione, ILA board chair; Erin Downey, vice chair; Ann Joslin, State Librarian, Audra Green, Kristi Haman, Ryan Randall, Becky Proctor, Molly Montgomery, Julie Hatcher, Ellie Epperson, Marina Rose, Jennifer Hntzen, Jeannie Stadahl, and joining online were Ben Hunter and Beverly Richmond, Secretary.
Approval of meeting minutes: Jeannie moved that the meeting minutes of December 10, 2016 be approved with the corrections. Erin seconded. Motion passed.
Strategic Priorities: Ann Joslin described the background and rationale behind the IcFL Strategic Priorities document. The link to the document is:
There was discussion and Amy said that ILA can choose to focus on this. Erin suggested that working with LilAC to partner with staff development and leadership is an option.
Becky reported that membership is currently at 381 although some of last year's members have yet to renew. It was discussed that we use membership software t o track this. Erin reported that she has researched this and likes Nation Builder. The cost would be approximately $1500.00 a year. Nation Builder is easier to use than what ILA is currently using. Ann moved that the Board use Nation Builder. Audra seconded. Motion passed.
John Watts and Gregg Casey were on hand from Veritas to discuss upcoming Lobby Day. It was discussed that we rename Lobby Day to Captiol Day in the hopes of encouraging more librarians and board members as well. Amy moved that we rename Lobby Day to Capitol Day, Kristi seconded and Motion passed. John recommended that we work from a strategic prospective and create our own policies. Ann stated that the legislators may need to know how libraries collaborate across the state with services and the community. There was much discussion on how we should proceed. There was discussion on what would be happening on February 7th at the Capitol. Amy , Erin and Audra will be addressing information to the legislators. Anyone who wishes to attend is encouraged to do so.
Library Conference Annual Budget:
There was discussion about the upcoming Annual Conference. Audra asked if there were caps on anything? Amy replied that the Conference Committee has to go through the Board to get the Conference Budget approved. It was decided that the Early Bird registration will be up until the end of August. Facilities cost will be waived. Becky moved that the conference budget be approved. Jeanie seconded and motion passed.
Trisha reported that she has received and processed all the travel reimbursement forms that she has. If you have not received reimbursement you need to get your forms to her. Trisha also stated that she is working on creating a new form that is more user friendly.
Kristi and Amy discussed how to change the election terms and how we should promote the elections across the state. There was discussion about timing and who should handle this. It was discussed about length of office and how term time limits need to change for some of the positions.
It was stated that both the Legislative Chair Position and the Student Rep Position are now voting members of the board.
Adjournment: It was moved that the meeting be adjourned at 3:30 pm ?????
Next meeting : March 7,2017 at 11:00 am mountain time, 10:00 am Pacific
Regions I and II will host a combined Spring conference on May 19th at the Coeur d’Alene Public Library. Please consider presenting or hosting a 45-minute or hour-long program. Poster session submissions will also be considered.
Deadline for submission is March 15, 2017. Please submit any ideas or proposals for programs and/or poster sessions to: email@example.com