Meeting Minutes Febraury 5, 2018
February 5, 2018
Present were: Amy Vecchione, President; Erin Downey, Vice-President; Ellie Epperson, Student Representative; Leigh Price, Albertson Library Intern; Rosemary Yocum, Trustee Chair; Ann Joslin, State Librarian; Jeannie Standal, Representative for Pacific Northwest Library Association; Beverly Richmond, Secretary; Molly Montgomery, ACRL Idaho Chair; John Thill, Legislative Chair; Kate Lovan, Public Library Chair; Larry Blackburn, Trustee Vice-President; Jane Clapp, Treasurer; Jessica Bowman, Online Content Coordinator; Erin Kennedy, Intellectual Freedom Chair; Kiersten Kerr, School Library Chair; Jennifer Redford, Constitution & Bylaws Chair, Stephanie Bailey-White, Academic & Special Library Division Chair, and Marina Rose, Student Representative.
Amy called the meeting to order at 10:05 pm. Introductions around the room were made.
- 10am: Approve January minutes : Secretary Beverly Richmond--stated that she had recently sent out the last updates with corrections. Erin moved that the January 3, 2018 meeting minutes be approved with the noted corrections. Ann seconded. Motion passed. Molly and Jane abstained.
- 10: 15 am: Budget Review and Approval: Treasurer Jane Clapp--
Intellectual Freedom--- 8,738.65
Gardner Hanks 7,323.22
○ Conference Budget--Jane Clapp discussed the 2018 annual budget with everyone. There was discussion about the conference, it is estimated that the conference will generate $51,300 and the expenses will be approximately $39,035.00. There was discussion about the number of vendors and the consensus was that 20 vendors seemed more accurate. Jessica stated that a call-for-proposals had gone out, however she will send it again. Jane made the required adjustments to the budget with last year's vendor numbers. Rosemary moved that the 2018 Conference Budget estimate be approved with updates in June for board Travel and Exhibits costs. Erin seconded. Motion passed.
○ Annual budget review--Jane went through each line item on the budget. There was discussion about school libraries and the trustee's budget request amounts for mailing cost. There was also discussion about doing a membership drive to increase membership and revenue. Amy stated that Lynn Baird is our registered agent. Rosemary Yocum volunteered to become the registered agent.
○ Moving to 501c3 --Amy discussed the benefits of moving to a 501 (c)3. They include a digital footprint, institutional memory, the ability to define rolls for members, term limits, donations, tax exempt status, donations are tax deductible, reduced postal rates, and the added benefit of lobbying for donations and funds.
- 11:15 am: Reimbursement forms for ILA travelers - Treasurer Jane Clapp requested that everyone submit their travel reimbursement forms and receipts for meal and lodging to her email which is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 11:30 am Budget and contracts: Amy Vecchione and Erin Downey discussed the current proposed budget and our contracted representative which include John Watts of Veritas, our legislative lobbyist, and Jason Mau, an attorney who will be helping with the conversion to a 501 (c) 3.
- 12 pm Noon: - Catie Bennett - US Small Business Association--Catie from the US Small Business Association--Boise office discussed how they could assist libraries across the state with Small Business options. The areas that they are able to help with include, low-cost counseling and free business counseling, Economic Development and Market research, Federal Contracting Assistance and a Business Plan.
- 1ish pm Budget and contracts part 2--There was more discussion about the 2018 budget and the need to increase revenue. This budget reflects the need to work on revenue and keep maintenance costs at a minimum. Erin moved to accept the 2018 budget expectations as written. Stephanie Bailey-White seconded. Motion passed. Amy abstained.
- 1:30 pm Bylaws: Make Web Content Coordinator a voting member---There was discussion about making the Online Content coordinator a voting member. It was decided that this position does not need to be a voting member, however Ann moved that the Online Content Coordinator travel for official board meeting is reimbursed. Jeannie seconded. Motion passed.
- 1:45 pm Vision Discussion--Amy requested that everyone review the vision statement for the next meeting.
- 2:15 pm Every Library--Erin discussed Every Library and encouraged everyone to check into all the good things that Every Library is doing to help libraries across the nation. Every Library is funded by cooperation's that have connection to libraries.
2:15 Ann Joslin discussed Lee Rainey. He will be speaking about "Media Literacy and Social Media" on April 2, 2018 at Boise State Special Events Center and on April 3, 2018 at the Boise Public Library, this will be streamed to other libraries around the state.
- 2:45-4:30 pm Planning for Day at the Capitol: Erin Downey, John Thill, John Watts of Veritas and Loretta student representative.
John Watts discussed the Boundary Small Rural Library of the Year, 2017 proclamation. He stated that this would make it through both the house and senate without any difficulty. He also discussed the Talking Books/broadband request for federal funding to be moved to state funding. Internet filtering and professional development. He stated other areas of legislation include limiting bond time limits and forgone amounts for public libraries. There was more discussion about each of these areas. John advised those of us we were attending the legislative session the next day to state each of our viewpoints when questioned about these legislative bills and how they would impact each of our libraries. John Thill, Amy and Erin also advised each of us about these important legislative bills and encouraged each of those attending to have examples to give to the representatives when asked.
Adjournment : The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 pm. The next meeting is March 7, 2018 via zoom/telephone conference at 11:00 am mountain time.