ILA Meeting Minutes 10 04 2017
October 4, Meeting Minutes
Call to Order: Amy called the meeting to order at 5:05 pm. Present were Amy Vechionne, Board Chair; Erin Downey, Vice Chair, Beverly Richmond, Secretary; Ann Joslin, State Librarian; Jessica Bowman, Jane Clapp, Treasurer; John Thill, Katie Lovan, Stephanie Bailey- White; Ben Hunter; Molly Montgomery; Marina Rose, Lacey Welt; Beverly McKay, Jeannie Standal; Beth Hendrix, Beth Swenson, Jennifer Hinzen, Keirsten Kerr, Rosemary Yocum , Julie Hatcher, Tiffani Young and guests Emily Sitz from Idaho Commission for Libraries and John Watts from Veritas. Absent was Kristi Haman.
Approval of meeting minutes of July 27, 2017. Erin moved that the meeting minutes of July 27, 2017. Katie seconded and motion passed.
- Active business: transition to a new board --Am y welcomed all the new members and the returning board members to the meeting. Both Amy and Erin Downey discussed how to use Nation Builder which is the ILA website.
- Determine legislative and board priorities--John Thill discussed the two resolutions that needed board approval The first resolution is the talking book Services and the request was for $357,000. This resolution would move the Talking Book Service (TBS) from federal funding back to state funds, where it was funded prior to FY2010.
The second resolution is the Broadband Reimbursement for Public Libraries--(EOR). This request is for an additional $45,000.00 to increase the boardband reimbursement funding for Idaho Public Libraries through the Education opportunity Act (EOR). This represents a 25% increase to $180,000.00 amount currently available to reimburse the non-E-rate portion of public libraries' internet service. John Thill moved that both of these resolutions be approved. Julie Hatcher seconded. Motion passed. Ann Joslin abstained.
- Report out on how legislative visits went --John Watts stated that he was not sure how Legislative visits went. He did discuss internet filtering and a mandate of internet filtering on all computers at libraries.
Call for budget requests --Jane Clapp stated there are no official numbers as yet. She reminded everyone that budget requests are now due and to include the following.
- Include travel to and from 2018 conference in Moscow for award winners
- VP include regional conferences + project income
Jane also discussed the need for how we count membership and the need to change it. Jane provided her email address to send the budget request to, it is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Conference report -- Lacey stated that the conference will be full of great programs and presenters, everything is in place for a very successful conference. Lacey wanted to thank the conference board for all their hard work. They include Megan Ekbert, Marina Rose, Shirley Bilideau, Kevin Tomlison and Ellie Efferson.
- Website onboarding-- Both Amy and Erin Downey discussed how to use Nation Builder which is the ILA website.
- ILA Mission and Vision Update- Amy stated that the ILA Mission and Vision statement need to be reworked and that there will be a new vision statement and mission statement in the future to review.
- 501c3 --Amy discussed the need to become a 501 (c) 3 and this discussion will be continued at the meeting in February.
- LSTA--Stephanie discussed LSTA funds being used for E-Books for all libraries with the support of school programs.
- Resolution from Shawn Keogh --John Watts discussed that a possible resolution be made to honor Boundary County for being the best Small and Rural Library in the Nation. This honor will be made during National Library Week in April. Stephanie Bailey White moved to adopt this resolution. Beverly Richmond seconded. Motion passed.
- Public Development-- John Thill discussed access to professional development and the need for better salaries across the state. The library infrastructure is one of lifelong learning, it is used by job seekers, for economic development , research, recreation and other activities. Jessica, Tiffani, Keirsten, and John to provide ordering to ILA for support of this. It will be an action item/agenda item at the next meeting.
Adjournment--Jane Clapp moved that the meeting be adjourned at 6:30 pm. Larry Blackburn seconded. Motion passed.
Amy wished everyone a wonderful conference and thanked everyone for their continued dedication to ILA and libraries.