Public Services Librarian -- Gonzaga University School of Law Chastek Library, Spokane, WA
The Public Services Librarian manages circulation functions including patron services, reserves, and aspects of stacks maintenance. This position also provides reference and instructional service to law school students, faculty, and other library users. This position requires a strong commitment to service and problem-solving skills. The Public Services Librarian is responsible for insuring consistently high service to library users by establishing, documenting, and applying library policies and procedures; training and supervising student employees; and working with other departments in the Gonzaga Law School and Gonzaga University on issues relating to security, facilities, and use of the law library. Evening and weekend hours may be required in this position, depending on the need as determined by the Head of Public Services Librarian or Library Director.
A. Circulation Duties (50%):
• Supervise operation of the circulation desk of the library, assist library users at the circulation desk, and schedule coverage for circulation desk.
• Administer the circulation module of the Integrated Library System (Alma), including patron records, borrowing rules, and circulation statistics.
• Communicate with library administration, other departments in the law school, and the university regarding security, facilities, and student employment.
• Prepare Public Service Department statistical reports for library administration.
• Coordinate with the Technical Services Department to evaluate and revise workflow and procedures between departments.
• Hire, train, supervise, schedule, and evaluate student employees in coordination with the Head of Public Services Librarian.
• Create, document, implement, and administer library policies, procedures, and training materials for Public Services Department functions.
B. Reference & Instructional Duties (40%):
• Provide reference service to students, faculty, and other library users. Staff the reference desk along with the Head of Public Services Librarian and Library Director.
• Instruct law students in the use of the library and legal research methodology, both individually and in classroom settings.
• Provide faculty research assistance as assigned by Head of Public Services Librarian and Library Director.
• Develop and update library instructional materials, publications, and online user guides to facilitate access to resources and promote awareness of library services.
• Work with other librarians on collection development and stacks maintenance initiatives and projects.
• Train and support library staff in the use of circulation module of Alma and other electronic resources.
• Work with law school IT staff to coordinate services to students and faculty.
C. Other Functions (10%):
• Assist and participate in library planning.
• Participate in professional development opportunities to enhance knowledge of legal research methodology and materials.
• Participate in weekly librarian meetings, public services department meetings, and monthly staff meetings.
• Participate in law school and university committees, as required.
• Perform other duties as assigned in support of Gonzaga’s mission.
1. M.L.S. (or equivalent) degree from an ALA accredited institution.
2. Knowledge of electronic resources and integrated library systems.
3. A strong service orientation and ability to manage projects.
Posting closes October 30, 2017.